It is the perfect time of the year to reflect on the current condition of your work area. Before starting the new year, look at what you have, what you need, and especially what you don’t need to kickstart 2022 with a clear desk and an uncluttered frame of mind. When you work from a temporary office service like My Annapolis Office, you can use professional administrative services within your package to help you in your task.
When to Declutter
Sorting is the first task in decluttering an office space. Timing is essential, as the job can be a big one and needs to be accomplished without interrupting your workflow. Many of us believe that there is never a good time as we are so busy. However, the benefit of peace of mind outweighs the sacrifice of time and the moment to start sorting is when you can’t find things easily and are getting bogged down in clutter.
How to Sort
- Use baskets or boxes to temporarily store collections of items you find in and around your office. Clear plastic totes are an excellent tool for decluttering files into current, archived, and undecided.
- Repurpose storage areas. Invest in storage units that will conceal items from view, enhancing the neatness of your space.
- Colored hanging folders, file folders, and labels allow neat, quick, and easy referencing.
- Set a date to tackle the decluttering project and stick to it.
What to Sort
It is time to look at what you need to declutter and reorganize for the new year. Consider decluttering and removing to an office space like My Annapolis Office in 2022 to simplify and streamline your work environment.
- Get rid of the broken and redundant stuff, including duplicates of staplers and other paraphernalia that we tend to accumulate. Keep the best and ditch the rest.
- Stay on top of digital files. December is a strategic time to archive past projects, giving you a clean slate from which to start. Clear up unwanted photos, videos, and files. Purchase an external storage device or invest in cloud technology to store files that are not currently necessary.
- Find another home for items you keep ‘just in case’ and ‘down the road.’ Most of the time, they are never used or lose their value when you remember them.
- Decide what to donate to a local organization. Students and families will appreciate unused furniture, desk supplies, and electronics on a budget.
If you find that you are becoming frustrated at handling certain tasks that keep you away from the meat of your business, consider a virtual office or private office space with My Annapolis Office. Both options provide administrative services that help keep the daily office clutter under control and lighten your workload.
Decluttering your workspace will enable you to focus and prepare for 2022. The process may seem daunting at first, but once you start, and with a few tips to guide you, decluttering will be a healing experience and one that will bring you a sense of peace and a renewed purpose at its conclusion.